Datahub Against Opacity Workshop
making colonial collections accessible
What would you want to do on a website that allows you to find objects from any colonial context in museum and archive collections? We are looking to get your insights and knowledge as a user!
The development of the datahub, in the Consortium project 'Against Opacity', advances, and so new questions arise. We would therefore like to invite you to the next workshop on Friday December 1 at Wereldmuseum Leiden.
To be determined.
To be determined.
The workshop will be led by Gertjan Filarski (project leader Datahub) and Jauco Noordzij (workshop facilitator).
The research application is available at https://app.colonialcollections.nl/, and includes:
- the catalogue of the Wereldmuseum
- personnel registers of the Dutch (military) presence in Indonesia coming from Bronbeek Military Museum for Dutch colonial history and the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army (KNIL)
- the catalogue of objects coming from a colonial context that is held by the Cultural Heritage Agency of the Netherlands
Please be aware that the application is very much a work in progress. We are planning on a lot more data cleaning and adding new features. The application and data may change daily, and bugs are possible at this phase. Over the next months we intend to add:
- the catalogue of objects from Bronbeek Military Museum
- the catalogue of objects coming from a colonial context that are held by the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam
- the research guide for colonial collections that is drafted by NIOD.
The Colonial Collections Consortium is a partnership between Museum Bronbeek, NIOD, Wereldmuseum, Rijksmuseum Amsterdam, and RCE. This consortium supports the Dutch museum field in provenance research into objects from a colonial context and helps answer questions from countries of origin. With this aim, the consortium is developing the datahub; to make collections from a colonial context accessible and provide users the opportunity to add perspectives to the data.
Date: 1st December
Doors open: 12:30 hrs.
Start: 13:00 hrs.
Borrel: 16:00 hrs.
End: 17:00 hrs.
Sign up not open yet.